Background

Thursday 10 March 2011

Chapter 3 - Nook's Cranny

After a much needed sleep in her nice new bed Rayni awoke feeling refreshed. Not wanting to be late for her first day of work she hurried along the beach and across the bridge to Tom Nooks store.


His shop was a shabby wooden hut called Nook's Cranny. Although the store was small Rayni loved the look of the place, just the type of store she imagined she would find many hidden treasures.
Tom seemed glad to see her, and to begin with sent her off to meet all the villagers in the town, something she was more then happy to do!

Wandering round town Rayni was trying to get her bearings, walking around Acrewood itself was very different from studying the map, it seemed so much bigger, and there were many trees all around that lead her to lose her way

Rayni suddenly spotted Pudgy the bear wandering along the river much to her relief, "Hi Rayni!" he called as he wandered over to her. She explained that Nook had sent her to meet everyone but she did not know where to begin. "Aww Rayni, no problem follow me!" Pudgy said. He showed her around and introduced her to the other animals living in the town.

The other villagers all seemed friendly, Bettina was the first animal they came across, a sweet little mouse who was singing to herself by the cliffs. She seemed very happy to have a new face in town, "Oh Rayni you will have to visit me some time!" She insisted. Rayni happily agreed, and left to meet the other villagers with a smile on her face.



There were two elephants in Acrewood, Eloise and Axel. Although Eloise seemed a little snooty Pudgy assured her she was harmless enough.
Harry the hippo was another resident, Rayni was sure they would become good friends. The other villagers were a rabbit named Dotty, and a gorilla named Violet, both seemed happy to meet her.

"Oh Pudgy thank you so much for your help! I think I will be able to find my way around a lot better from now on!" "No problem Rayni, have a good day I hope Nook doesn't work you to hard!"

Upon her return Nook set Rayni a number of errands, delivering packages to the villagers, writing out letters to customers, and posting a notice about the offers at his shop by the town hall. He warned her to not dawdle whilst doing her jobs, so in a hurry Rayni left completing her tasks as fast as she could. The animals were very grateful that she had delivered their items safely and said they would treat her nicely in return.


At the end of the day Tom thanked Rayni for her help, but told her unfortunately he had no further work for her to do. "Don't worry Rayni you will find plenty of ways to make money, and I buy many items to trade with other townsfolk, and the residents here often have deliveries they need help with. Well I wish you look!"

Rayni had been sure that Nook was going to offer her a permanent position and felt a little helpless, now left to face the world alone. As she wandered home she once again smelled the wonderful aroma of coffee drifting through the air. She decided to go and see Brewster who had really made her feel welcome the night before.

"Brewster! I hope you don't mind me visiting this late?" Rayni asked. "Not at all Rayni, my door, and the Roost is always open. Take a seat." he said.  "And for you my dear, this one is on the house."


"Oh thank you Brewster!" Rayni was so pleased, Brewster was always so kind towards her. "I just don't know what to do! I worked so hard for Nook today, and everyone seemed so happy with their deliveries but he still did not keep me on working at the shop!" Rayni said dismayed as she sipped her coffee.

"Well Rayni I am sure you will find something else to do here, to make your way. The town has been quite run down since Christopher Robin and his friends moved away, maybe you could work with the other animals to restore it to its former glory?"
 "Maybe Brewster, I just don't know where to start." Rayni replied.
"Hmm, maybe for now you just need to settle in. Why not take a trip to the city tomorrow that will surly give you a pick me up, there is plenty to discover there."

Rayni thought to herself that this actually seemed like just the thing she needed to take her mind off things."That sounds great actually Brewster! but I don't know my way..." 
"There is a bus stop by the gate Rayni, it comes every hour, Kapp'n will pick you up and take you all the way to the city." 
"Oh I know Kapp'n! He was the driver that offered me the ride here! Thank you Brewster! I will definitely go!"
"Well then, I bid you farewell for now Rayni, catch up on that beauty sleep, and don't forget to tell me how it goes, have a good time tomorrow." 
"Oh I will thank you Brewster! Goodnight!"

As Rayni wandered home she felt much better, Brewster always seemed to lift her spirits.


Well she thought, as she unlocked her door. I certainly have an adventure to look forward to tomorrow!

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment